Because no attorney can represent both parties in a divorce, you should hire an attorney to exclusively represent your unique interest. Click here to read more.


Who has rights to my children? How can those rights be exercised legally? Click here for answers.

Asset Protection / Wealth Preservation / Wills / Estates / Trusts

Preserving your money and property in these uncertain economic times demands sound yet innovative advice and planning. Click here to read how we may assist you.

Domestic Relations

Questions about child support, spousal support, alimony pendente lite, and alimony? Click here.


We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for Bankruptcy Relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. For more information about filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, click here.

Personal Injury

If you were hurt through someone else's negligence or recklessness, we can help you receive compensation for your lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering. Click here to read more.

Same-Sex Couples

Recent developments in the national law have resolved many issues previously confronting same-sex couples but some issues remain. Click here to find out what problems still exist.

Elder Law

Problems arising with advancing age are not just medical. Click here to read more about the unique legal and financial issues which come as we grow older and how to handle them.

Our firm is working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic in order to keep our clients and staff as safe as possible. 

We have removed from our downtown location permanently and are practicing telephonically until further notice.  Prospective and current clients may contact us by telephone at the number posted on this site or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  Anyone wishing to provide us documentation should contact us for instructions for delivery.

While we miss face-to-face interaction we enjoyed with our clients in our office, we nevertheless intend to provide the same detailed and speedy care to our representations while maintaining distance.  We progress cases utilizing email and U.S. mail in addition to telephone with great success.  

Until circumstances return to a safe level of normalcy, we intend to adhere to the strictest precautions of social distancing and mask-wearing.  We hope "normal" will return soon.  Stay safe!

Do you know someone confronting a legal issue who may need your financial assistance?


Dorsett Law Firm will accept your contribution toward the legal fees of your friend or family member as your gift to them--like a Gift Certificate.  In fact we will issue a LawBucks™ Gift Certificate to your friend or family member if you wish them to know of your gift.  Otherwise, your contribution will remain anonymous*.  


We will credit the account of your friend or family member with the amount you choose to give once payment is received by us.  Payment may be tendered to us by way of cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.  Proof of the cardholder's identity will be required for any credit card transaction prior to payment.  Proof of identity of the bearer will be required for cash transactions of $10,000.00 or more and some check transactions.  Other limitations may apply.


The gift of Law Bucks is non-refundable to the gifter pursuant to the regulations and law of Pennsylvania regarding third-party payors of legal fees.  LawBucks may be non-refundable to the client depending upon the terms of the engagement of representation.  If refundable, LawBucks will be refundable only to the client or their express assignee.


Contact us to bestow the benefits of LawBucks on your loved one.


*Dorsett Law Firm cannot and will not disclose the identity of any client for the purpose of issuing LawBucks or otherwise.  In order to have their gift properly credited, the gifter must identify clearly the intended recipient of their LawBucks gift without assistance from the staff of Dorsett Law Firm.

Elder Law comprises a cluster of legal and financial matters facing older individuals by virtue of their age.  Some of the issues of particular interest to retirement age folks include:  Estate planning, asset protection, powers of attorney, healthcare powers of attorney, living wills, guardianship, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security benefits, special needs trusts, nursing home admission or other long-term care, federal estate and state inheritance taxation.

Because older individuals have less time to plan for retirement and beyond, planning should become a priority.  Making proper arrangements now can protect precious assets, maximize income, avoid (not evade!) taxes, reduce debts, and ensure things run as smoothly as possible for you and your family.

While many of these concerns may seem straightforward, not requiring professional assistance, one runs the risk of missing something that could be beneficial to one's family.  Or worse, one could create a problem that could have been avoided. Re-titling or re-deeding property is just one of these areas which can be beneficial or problematic depending on the individual's unique circumstances and is very easy to do but sometimes impossible to undo.

DORSETT LAW FIRM has a thorough understanding and loads of experience in all of the legal and financial areas addressed under the term Elder Law.  Please contact us for an appointment before its too late.

Personal injuries, such as those sustained in a car accident, can result in the recovery of money for the injured person under some circumstances.  It is important to seek the advice of an attorney before you sign a settlement with an insurance company to get the best result you can. 

If you have been the victim of an automobile accident that was not your fault and you have elected Full Tort on your own car insurance, have no insurance1, OR your injuries are extremely serious (such as head trauma, blindness or loss of a limb), please contact us.  We will consult with you free of charge.

If you have been injured in a non-automobile accident, such as falling on someone's property or in a public or private commercial establishment, you may be entitled to collect money for your injuries and expenses depending upon the circumstances.  Call us to find out if you have a case.  We will consult with you free of charge.

DORSETT LAW FIRM has been representing injured parties for nearly two decades.  We have negotiated lucrative settlements for our clients without ever having to subject our clients to the uncertainties of trial. Let us see if we can help you, too.

1You do not qualify for the free consultation if you have no insurance because your insurance lapsed due to non-payment.

Who has rights to custody of my children?


Unless a court has terminated parental rights, each natural parent has rights to their children.  Courts may restrict those rights through a process often referred to as a "custody action."  A custody action may result in an order of court which grants full custody, partial custody, or supervised visitation.  The best course of action when questions of custody arise involving your children--whether you want to see them but cannot OR have them but wish not to let them go to the other parent--is to seek the advice of an experienced custody attorney before taking matters into your own hands.    

Often agreements can be reached between parents before custody issues are taken to the attention of the court.  It is advisable to allow an attorney to assist you in writing such an agreement in order to avoid missing important points and ensuring that the agreement is valid for enforcement later in case the other parent does not follow the terms.

If such a court order already exists regarding your children, modification of the terms of the custody arrangement may require going back to the judge to request the changes through another "custody action."  On the other hand, it may not.  Consult an experienced custody attorney for the best and most-efficient course of action.


Do I have "grandparent's rights"?


Grandparents may ask a court to allow them to exercise custody rights to their grandchildren in some situations.  As the law in this area is undergoing significant changes at the time of this writing, consult an attorney for the most recent developments as it relates to your specific situation.


Do I have "step-parent's rights"?


Generally speaking, step-parents have a tougher time exercising custody of their step-children than other "relations."  Agreement of the natural parent to allow contact is the most certain avenue of success.  Some situations may provide a step-parent with sufficient grounds to ask a judge for custodial rights, however, if the natural parent is less than cooperative.  These are limited and difficult hurdles to overcome.  Consult an experienced custody attorney as soon as you know your contact with your step-child is ending as the passage of time may affect your case.


Are Custody Actions expensive?


While it is impossible to say what costs will ultimately be incurred in any custody dispute until it is over, it is not true that all custody disputes are expensive.  Costs increase as cooperation between the parties decreases.  In other words, the more quickly an agreement is reached the less expensive custody disputes will be.  Compromising on less significant terms is one way to reach a speedier agreement.

In cases where no agreement between the parties is ever likely to be reached, costs can be lessened by careful strategic planning with the assistance of your attorney.  


Can I move to another county in Pennsylvania or another state altogether? 


Whether you have a custody order governing custody of your children or not, you may not relocate without permission of the other parent or the court, if the other parent does not consent.  The process of getting permission may take several months.  Consult an experienced custody attorney at the first thought of relocating to avoid violating the law.  


Legal Counsel to Great People™